The Long Island Index with the CUNY Mapping Service officially launched a new interactive map for Long Island that promises to be a powerful and easy-to-use tool for community groups, public officials, the media, students and researchers, and the public at large.
The launch was covered by:
- The New York Times Long Island weekly section (12/21/08)
- Long Island's daily paper Newsday ran several pieces about the map:
- an editorial on Friday, December 19 titled "Data Gold Mine: LI Index goes interactive, block by block"
- an article online that was also published in its Wednesday (12/10) print edition; and
- a Newsday columnist with a great overview explaining how to use the maps and also relating the map to the Census Bureau's recent American Community Survey update;
- Directions Magazine, one of the top online news resources for geospatial professionals.
- In-depth online interview at DirectionsMag.com, posted 1/7/09
- Long Island Business News
- Fox News's local website
- community papers in Suffolk County -- including a feature piece highlighting the map's power and potential by the Rauch Foundation executive director
- several "hyperlocal" blogs
Background info for the news media
- news release [PDF] (Wednesday, December 10, 2008);
- sample screen image in PNG, JPG, and hi-resolution TIF formats;
- information about the Long Island Index; and
- information about the CUNY Mapping Service.